Views

Twitter Feed

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lenten Sonnet #4

Here are two sonnets I wrote during the trip the Honors group took to New Mexico. We went to the Guadalupe Mountains and explored Carlsbad National Park and Slaughter Cave. It was a nice break from the craziness of school. Here they are:


Road Trip (3/1/12)
Driving in a van, it’s completely packed.
Tents and sleeping bags take the trip with us.
Food supply for the journey tightly sacked.
How I wish we took a big, yellow bus.
Driving through the countryside, herds of cows
Stare at cars passing by. Railroad tracks lead
The way into the desert we go now.
I begin to pull out a book to read
For the long four-and-a-half hour drive.
Towering windmills in the distant land,
It never felt so good to be alive
With a blank journal and pencil in hand.
Drooping eyes, it’s time to go back to sleep,
But memories of this trip I will keep.

Into the Mountains: The Preparation (3/1/12)
The journey to Carlsbad, my soul awaits;
Clear skies ahead, not a cloud I do see.
Sunlight shines from above through heaven’s gates;
Energizing spirit inside of me.
Preparing my body for perfect peace,
I enter the depths of ominous caves
To discover my need: a sweet release
That will shoot my spirits out of the graves.
Rising above mountains, a clearer view
Opens my eyes to what’s in front of me.
Distinguishing the false from what is true,
Searching for who I was, am and will be.
With an open mind, my ship is steady
For what is ahead, I am ready.

Have a great day and live life!

No comments:

Post a Comment